Search This Blog

Friday, August 20, 2010

My name is Paula and I'm a run/blogaholic

It's been 3 weeks since I last posted!  There have been ups and downs, been up mountain high (literally and figuratively) and down to the dregs of my energy level.  
Since I last checked in, I ran 63.2 miles over 2 weeks and decided to take this week off.  What you say?  a week off???  Me?  Yes.  
After reaching 27 miles including some serious hills the first week of Aug.,  I dropped back to 24.8 miles due to sore legs.  That did not help.  By week's end, I dragged myself through an 8 mile run with Julie W. who's in a Triathlon Aug 27th in Santa Barbara (Website):  http://www.santabarbaratriathlon.com/noHeader/Index.cfm. Check it out.  Go Julie!!!
I was so frustrated because I really believe I'm putting in the work consistently.  Instead of floating through that run, I was dragging by mile 4.   Julie was sailing along after a training brick the day before.  She's one tough lady! 
Apparently, I'm not.  My legs were just jelly and I felt defeated.  So, I started thinking...and resting. 
I'm sure there are several reasons for my lack of performance but I've narrowed it down to a few...
  1. I'm too old and can't handle the mileage.  
  2. I've started picking up my pace too much and it's burning up my legs.
  3. I work too much.
  4. I have a yet undiscovered rare disease that is rearing it's ugly head.
  5. Aliens are sucking my energy at night.
I'm a horrible hypochondriac whenever I feel even a little off.  No worries on the disease... I think.  Of all the above potential problems it's probably #2...and a bit of 3.  The truth is building mileage is hard and it feels like it.  After putting in a few solid weeks, I realized I've been under-trained for many of the races I've done.  In a way it's a good thing.  There is still room for me to improve and with a little tweaking, build up that mileage.
So, have I slipped into Dabbler Territory?  No, I think not.  I'm feeling a bit more refreshed.   I may even cut this week off a little short and go running today.  On that note, toodles for now!

No comments: