Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

All the pretty numbers

 I realized today I've reached 6 months in blog land.  I'm 6 months older too.   I'm "in my 40's" at a whopping 41!  I've raced a few miles...13.1...26.2...7...Run 300+ miles up to the 3rd of June and about 159 since then. I've dropped about 8 pounds in the last year and the best number?  Went from size 8-10 down to a 6.  My goal remains the same...50K and beyond...

What do all the numbers mean? Aside from confirming I'm nerdy?  The numbers show progress.  Even though goal to complete the Chuckanut 50K hasn't changed, I've found my perspective changing lately.  My physical goals are becoming less important, more pliable.  I'm more consistent with but less ridged about schedules. 

In my post put up or shut up , I talked about a shorter term goal; trying to work up to a 50 mile run week.  I managed 24.8 miles last week, a little short of the 27 I was shooting for.  At another time in my life, I would have taken this one of 2 ways:  One would have been failure.  I would have looked at the missing 2.2 miles and felt as though I couldn't improve.  The other, possibly worse way would be to shrug it off and forget about it (aka, the Dabbler way).

Apparently I've grown a bit.  I reviewed my running log and learned a bit.  Instead of seeing the missed goal as a failure, I'm revising my schedule and trying for 27 again.  The 10% gain can wait and this week, I'll run a bit more on each run and reach the goal.  Is this a big change?  Not on the surface.  But down deep, I feel a little more confident and happy.  I guess my 40's aren't so bad.

1 comment:

Kate said...

All those numbers mean you're awesome. At least, that's what my calculator said.