Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

All is not lost on one run...

With well under a month before San Diego, I'm already getting nervous.  The running today was delightful but, only for the company and weather.  Sunny skies and my friend Leah.  What could be better?  Maybe a few more friends but maybe not.

Like I said, the run was delightful but not because it was easy going.  The actual running  had a big 'training' vs. any sort of 'fun' stamp on it.   The first 2 miles were a bit fast and I felt great. Then it happened, I noticed we were both struggling with maintaining the pace.  We backed off but it was all over.  By the time the 3 mile turnaround came up, I was feeling all of the last three work nights in my legs.  FYI, it felt like liquid lead.  So, we started back more slowly then....walked!  Curses to my legs that won't go and go.  Why can't I be 20 again?  Oh the years wasted on youth....LOL.  Leah laughed and said don't worry, you'll do fine.  It's just a race, what's the worst that can happen?  I said it was pretty much my big fat ego on the line. 

...then....Leah says, "maybe you need to step out of your ego a bit.  You know, try leaving all of the time and pace expectations out and just run."  I was able to laugh at myself a little.  The rest of the run was more of a run/walk.  No, this talk did not help today's running go any easier. It did give me some perspective.  We finished by wading into the cold lake and soaked in some sun.

AND... I realized that I have a big fat ego to get in check.  It was a good day and all is not lost...Thanks Louie, you're a good friend.
Total miles 237.5  error in miles total...now have to mine for actual miles. 

No comments: