Search This Blog

Monday, May 10, 2010

Knowing your limits is hard.

OK, I updated and then felt the need to say this...

I have had injuries in the past.  I ran through the pain and have to say enjoyed it...for lack of a better word.  I ignored the pain because running was going so well I didn't want to back off.  I'd run 7 or 8 days in a row and on long run days my hip flexors would object from 10 miles until I finished.  By the time I finished, I was done.  So tired, I'd fall asleep for hours.
My body put up with the abuse until I got the wrong pair of shoes.  The area of the shoe at my ankle bone was too high and I earned myself some inflammation at the tendon traveling down to the sole of my foot.

I asked my then boyfriend's dad about the injury.  He happens to be an orthopedic surgeon.  He advised I take time off.  Time off???  I exclaimed.  That won't work!  Can't I just cut the shoe, get other shoes or tape...isn't there a running solution?  He looked at me and said, "you can run now and be off for several months in the future or just take some time off and rest...your choice".  I begrudgingly took his advice and rested, bought new shoes and recovered.  Yes I was very stubborn!
That was then.  Now, I take days off...perhaps a few too many and try to listen to my body.

Not long ago, a sweet and smart gal I know asked if she should worry about her knee pain.  She says it hurts worse when she runs.  She also doesn't take many rest days.  I told her to take a few rest days.  She of course did not because she's blissfully running longer and longer.
I get it...what I don't get is this.  We were discussing her knee pain with another runner and received a completely different response.  The 'other runner' piped up and said run through it...after she described injuries she'd needed surgery to repair.  I was so frustrated that rather than give my friend encouragement to rest and take care of herself, she did the opposite.
I understand hardcore ....but I say keep that attitude to yourself and learn from your own mistakes.

 I've been pretty close to injury free this year and intend to stay that way...through rest breaks and knowing my limits!