Search This Blog

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Breathing is good

Should a runner wear music when running with other people? I say no but I have a friend who says she needs it. She listens to 'angry' music to make it uphill and says it helps keep the pace.
I think it's a little rude but also think it's hilariously entertaining in a group.
Her part of the conversation is always a little off because she misses details. For instance, when a young gal ran by I joked, "holy tanning booth Batman!" The girl looked like Jersey Shore was missing a cast member. Laurie heard "that man" and asked "what man?" After another 20 minutes she'd made a few more of these innocent blunders and entertained us through our whole morning run. She's not the only person I know who complains about running without music. Another friend complained because she could hear herself breathe hard.
Is hearing yourself breathe a bad thing? I say no! There's magic out there if you look and listen. Even I run with music occasionally, it's a nice change. But, the truth is, I like listening.
I like hearing the rise and fall of my breathing, the wind, gurgling water, birds chirping and even the rain falling around me. I think life's too short to miss out on all that juicy detail. There is a beautiful moment when everything is perfect. When the magic happens your brain just wraps around the movement of your legs and suddenly, nothing matters except the sound of your feet hitting the ground and ....just breathing....

No comments: