Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Get 'er done, just don't forget to look back!

Life is hard to keep up with. We're constantly moving forward, trying to improve, move on, achieve something new...pushing and struggling to 'get 'er done'. It's good to move forward right? I think so.... and...
Sometimes, it's good to look back. I've always had to struggle with being proud of my own achievements. I have the tendency to push! and go! This method does work on one level. I do get 'er done much of the time but I tend to ignore the best part. I ignore the sense of accomplishment that comes with a job well done. I'm trying to change that.
So, today I sat down and wrote a thank you to nutritionist, Sheena Gravis. In May of last year, we reviewed my eating habits. Not surprisingly, I ate way too much sugar. (Ahh sugar, I do love you!) She helped me evaluate my intake and gave me ways to improve them. She also outlined some lifestyle goals for me. We talked about work, life and surprise!.. Running a 50K.
I realized that my goals are closer and more realistic than last May. I'm running more, feel better, make healthier choices like drinking almond milk and less red wine.
Sheena did a few things for me. For one, she made me realize an entire 1 lb. bag of candy is never reasonable, even on a really bad day. More importantly, she helped outline reasonable and achievable goals.
Almost a year later, I see some of the steps I've taken to achieve those goals and a few more to go! and get 'er done!

2 comments:

Kate said...

Sometimes you HAVE to look back to see how far you've come.

Unknown said...

I find looking back reminds me of all that I am grateful for... it seems to me you have much to be proud of and grateful these days (like a body that can run a 50K)!