Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Still learning lessons....


There is a limit that I have reached a few times in my life. It's just on the edge of fitness. I've run through and maintained my fitness level for about a year....only once. I was 29 and remember running 10 miles, just for fun. I would have a beer with friends then feel like 'running it off' and going for a 4 mile run. Occasionally, I could be coaxed into a second run for the day. Does that sound crazy? I gotta tell you, it felt amazing. I was a lean, mean machine and ate like a horse! (That was my favorite part) This week, that edge is looming a little closer. I almost kept up with the young, tall and very fast, Megan (pictured here---isn't she tall?).
If I put in some work and am careful to not hurt myself, I could achieve that level of fitness again. At the time, I had no idea I would spend 10 years getting that back. I didn't realize that my fitness would not endure the off time and subsequent pounds. I let that slip away with hours of procrastination, of dabbling. I disappointed myself.
You know what? I've learned something in the last 10 years. I've learned it's hard to gain back fitness. I've also learned that achieving my goals is worth the effort. Right now, it's 15 weeks until my first big goal. After that, it's on to the 50K. At that point it's all about maintenance, strength building and.... running...
just keep running...just keep running....

Miles this week 9
Total miles 28.4

No comments: