Search This Blog

Sunday, February 28, 2010

everything in moderation....

This week taught me a lesson. It taught me that balance is an important part of training.
I finished my long run yesterday, but I skipped my Thursday run. If I'd run even a few miles that day I may have felt better about my week. Instead I found an excuse, then another and didn't run. I can tell you there were several hours to fit in a run on Thursday. I managed to fit in a staff meeting, have a glass of wine with friends and be assured, all of my email was answered that day.
But, that particular run was more important than I thought. By skipping a run, I felt guilt which made my long run yesterday seem less successful. Curses!
Even worse, having napped for 2 hours and eating a monster load of food, I had a horrible night at work! Let me acknowledge fatigue was partially to blame. Unfortunately, most of the issue was in my head. I felt inadequate because of poor planning. Thankfully, I have great co-workers who listened and helped me through the evening. Looking back I realize most of my problem is a lack of balance.
I could have run Thursday. If I had, I'd feel more accomplished. Also, I may have considered running long on Friday. That would have saved me a full evening of frustrating exhaustion. Instead I chose to spend time on fun--which is good, in moderation. I'm realizing this goal is really important to me. In an attempt to fit it all in and ignore my big obsession to go 50K, I didn't get the important stuff done this week. It's good to enjoy time with friends, work full time and run my training. But, some things will need to be moderated....Remember....
"Everything in moderation, including moderation."
Oscar Wilde

Now if I could only find the balance....anyone have a hint?

No comments: