Search This Blog

Monday, January 25, 2010

Free flying advice on running...

Running has an interesting culture all it's own. Within it is acceptable to snot rocket, stink a bit and advice flies freely. I like the running culture. I enjoy the camaraderie of seeking advice, discussing what works and doesn't.
I decided to use a book about marathon training this time around. It's called 4 Hours to a 4 Hour Marathon. OK, the title totally sucked me in. I read the book and thought, hey I can finish this. Then, I spoke to my friend Steve...the really good runner I told you about? Yeah, him. Well he thinks speed work is not necessary even though it's in the book. My plan includes speed training. He suggested hill repeats or fartleks (short bursts of speed followed by easy running) to increase my aerobic fitness.
Now, I think Steve's a really smart and a really experienced runner AND I'm nervous. By the way, my friend Megan was told the same information by her brother in law.
I think this brings up another mind over matter issue. Do I sway from the training or listen to my friend. Currently, I'm not even in the training cycle, just building my mileage so it's nothing to get worked up about. In the end though, I will probably listen to Steve and just run, and run... again and again...
Off for a run.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I think you have to do what works for YOU. And maybe it's speed training, or maybe it's what Steve & Megan say. You'll just have to see.

Hope you had a good run!

Paula said...

Agreed! I love the free flying advice though! P