Search This Blog

Monday, January 4, 2010

Starting point...dabbler

I'm what you'd call a dabbler, in running and much of my life. I will go through a running streak for several weeks then off for a couple. When I hit the trails again, I'm often exhausted and frustrated with how...s...l...o...w I am!
Occasionally, after several days of running I find myself on a bed of air as I float along the trails barely hearing my footfalls. That is why I continue to run, or try to run.
This year however, my good friend Layla called me and said, 'hey! Let's do San Diego Rock n Roll Marathon!" And, like the good dabbler I am, I said, 'sure'. Why you ask? Well I'll tell you. I have completed 5 marathons between 1998 Honolulu and 2007 Bellingham. Unfortunately or expectantly you might say, I've finished all of them progressively slower. The first time, I finished in a respectable 4:23...last time I posted was 5:12:55.
Now, I'm 40 so I expected to slow down but honestly! Over 5 hours???
This year I'm hoping for a sub-four hour marathon. Too much to ask??? We'll see.

2 comments:

Kate said...

If anybody can do it, YOU can do it. Go Paula!

(And cool that you're blogging now!)

Trisha Fay said...

Oh my gosh I remember Honolulu! Your feet were so swallon from the plane ride. You stayed at my apartment! I was so proud of you!
Remember you got me to start running after my car accident! And I still love it to this day.
You can do this you are amazing! Maybe I can fly out and cheer you gals on!