Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The outer limits

I talked about limits this week. My outer limits are close...very close. I've been running into them almost daily. I am forced to run a little slower or take a walk break up a hill but, this week I notice that my limits are becoming a little further away.
Today, I ran Lake Padden with Janel. We planned to run two laps. The first went by and I felt OK but was doubtful about the second. I'd run the past couple of days and the looming limit was creeping up.
We started on the second lap and I said, "I'm not sure I can do 2 today". Janel was so nice and said, "no problem, just let me know if you want to turn around early."
I thought about it for a bit then decided we should just finish the lap. About 3/4 of the way through the lap there's a hill. It's steep, a little curvy and feels about a mile long (In reality it's only about 40 yards long). Needless to say, my lungs were screaming for a rest. But then it was done and I had a few minutes left. I felt great and even managed to speak...out loud and say so. Janel and I agreed that the second lap feels even better and were both glad to finish. You know what? I felt tired and close to my limit for the day but...I could have run at least another mile or two.
So, I say Just keep running, just keep running, just keep swimming...I mean running. Thanks Steve (and Dory)

1 comment:

Kate said...

Uh, Paula? Your awesome is showing.