Search This Blog

Friday, January 8, 2010

Stars align and friends run.

For some people, running is alone time. They put in their ear buds, jack up the tunes and float along on their little private island of running. I feel the opposite way. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy solo runs some of the time but my favorite thing to do is running with friends.
I like to think of running as social time. It's difficult for busy people to get away from their lives to do something frivolous like coffee or lunch (two of my favorite activities). My friends all have jobs, kids, husbands, hobbies and a ton of other friends. Going out to run is an escape from all our busy lives. It's a chance to catch up. It's a two-fer: exercise plus adult conversation (aka therapy).
Twelve years ago I ran with Donna, a former Team In Training coach. We'd run and I'd tell her about my love life. It was very exciting at the time... Lucky for me and despite my happy monogamy, she has remained my friend through occasional runs. Now we catch up, laugh about the good old days and new good times.
I also run with Krista, my best friend. She and I have often laughed about the running streak we had going a few years ago. We'd get up and meet at 6 am. We kept it up for several months while training for a 1/2. These days? Six is the middle of the night. I work in the until 1130 in the evening and alas, Krista works far more than she should. We're lucky if we meet once a week. When we run, the mood is usually set in the first few minutes. On a great day, we run and just pour out our souls. On a bad one, we run, walk and commiserate.
What do I miss when I can't run with my friends? The feeling of a shared accomplishment and my happy heart. Luckily when the stars align, I'm able to run, catch up and lighten up with my friends.

No comments: